[Yale ArchivesSpace] Update re: ASpace staff interface development work

Clemens, Alison alison.clemens at yale.edu
Tue Feb 16 08:33:50 EST 2021

Dear colleagues,

I'm writing with an update regarding development work on the ArchivesSpace staff interface.

Other the past few years, members of the YUL community have contributed feedback, suggestions, and requests pertaining to improving Yale's ArchivesSpace staff interface.

The Yale Archival Management Systems Committee (YAMS) is grateful for your feedback and ideas, and we're pleased to share the below update on specific requests.

The following suggested improvements have already been implemented or are scheduled in the next release of ArchivesSpace (3.0). Please note that our Yale implementation of ArchivesSpace 3.0 is TBD based on the release's final launch date from Lyrasis, but we hope we'll be able to implement it locally around May or June. Here's what in place already or will be in place once we've implemented ArchivesSpace 3.0:

  *   Ability to expand text box for notes fields; likewise, reduce size of large text boxes for fields (i.e., title) which don't need that much space: Complete and in place
  *   Include identifier information (i.e., call number) on search results page: Complete and in place
  *   Add component identifier to reorder mode menu, in order to disambiguate series with the same name while reordering: Complete and in place
  *   When searching, should be able to see what collection the search result belongs to: Complete and in place
  *   Make file the default level of description: Complete and in place
  *   Get CAS authentication back: Complete and in place
  *   Increased granularity for ability to publish/unpublish archival components and their children: Complete and in place
  *   Ability to merge top container records: Upcoming in next release

We are actively working on the following suggested improvements:

  *   Automating box and folder label creation
  *   Creating the ability to auto-save records
  *   Including the collection ID in breadcrumb navigation
  *   Making the Print to PDF functionality work with our stylesheet

YAMS regularly discusses interface improvements for both the staff interface and the public interface, and we maintain a running list of suggested improvement. If you have ideas, please don't hesitate to contact us. You're welcome to email me or to send a message to the YAMS email: Yulyams at mailman.yale.edu<mailto:Yulyams at mailman.yale.edu>. We also have a Slack channel - please feel free to contact me or YAMS to request an invitation.

Best wishes,
Alison, for YAMS

Alison Clemens
Pronouns: she/her/hers
Head of Processing
Manuscripts & Archives, Yale University Library
P.O. Box 208240
New Haven, CT 06520-8240
203-432-9029
alison.clemens at yale.edu<mailto:alison.clemens at yale.edu>
https://web.library.yale.edu/mssa

Many Yale University Library staff are working remotely to provide online library support and service as part of the university's response to COVID-19. I am available for research consultations by email, phone, or Zoom during regular business hours. Please monitor bit.ly/YaleLibraryCovid19<https://nam12.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fbit.ly%2FYaleLibraryCovid19&data=04%7C01%7Calison.clemens%40yale.edu%7Cbeaa71d6f39541ac2db808d8d27f52ac%7Cdd8cbebb21394df8b4114e3e87abeb5c%7C0%7C0%7C637490791581431631%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C1000&sdata=zv%2BkX0Q0%2BAup7kEedIaAPRtb26LZr4%2B6UG18KJZoHc8%3D&reserved=0> for updates on library access and services.