New London Count rained out - sort of

Clay Taylor CTaylor at worldnet.att.net
Sat Jul 15 16:38:15 EDT 2000

Hi -
    At 6am and 7am this morning (Sat 7/15) it was raining in Moodus, and the few people that called me agreed that it was not worth trying to do the New London Butterfly Count today.  Two hours later, the rain has stopped and the skies are brightening, and I am starting to wonder if I am a dummy.  The Weather Channel is still calling for rain, but it seems to be falling to the west of New London County.
    However, Tom Harrington did go to Haley Farm and reported that the wet vegetation, overcast skies and strong winds had driven all the butterflies to cover - not even a Cabbage White!   That makes me feel a little better.
    I would like to get the count done on Monday, but I still want to see a more detailed weather forecast.  They are calling for some sunshine, but if the winds are still strong, that is still not good.  My other possibility (and last chance) is for Thursday.
    I will send out an update by 5pm tomorrow (Sunday) that will say either we go for 8am Monday morning, or we bet the ranch on Thursday.

Thanks,
Clay Taylor