not moths but lightning beetles and harmony

bill and Dale droberts03 at snet.net
Fri Jun 22 00:50:29 EDT 2001

Just now, on the night of the new moon, first day of summer, in the year
of the space odyssey, the first two lightning bugs of the season
appeared at my home at opposite windows flashing their frantic messages
across the space of my living room. I know that sometimes the messages
are an invitation to the dance, other times traps designed to lure the
unwitting into ruin. After all is said and done they are only messages.
Each bug chooses whether or not to respond based on its perception of
the authenticity of the message and belief in the good will in the
intent of the sender. Sometimes it's impossible NOT to turn little
events into metaphor.
I'd like to add my voice to the sentiments expressed earlier today by JH
and AB that this site is a warm, intelligent and enjoyable place for
people who love leps to share their finds, their excitement about
lepidoptera. Whether you are a "watcher", "collector" or a little of
each the best first rule should be tolerance of others point of view and
respect for their good intentions. I agree with JH that personal
philosophy is best left offsite so that the exchange of the "real
goods", information about species-behavior-diversity-habitat
conservation, can flow freely.
          Just one man's opinion of moonlight.

Bill Yule
PS: Today in North Guilford had my first Appalachian Brown.