FW: Butterfly on Tuesday

Grkovich, Alex agrkovich at tmpeng.com
Thu Apr 21 21:18:00 EDT 2005

________________________________

From: Grkovich, Alex
Sent: Thu 4/21/2005 9:14 PM
To: lemmon at snet.net; CT Lep Server
Subject: RE: Butterfly on Tuesday

Carol,

It is an Eastern Tiger, for certain...It is far too early to be an Appy, especially up here in southern New England...I found, remember, fresh male "Appies" (at least I THINK that they were Appies, I don't know what else they could have been - they were somewhat smaller than the typical Appy of West Virginia) on June 2, 2003 in Westchester Co., NY...

Yes, we need vouchers of these first brood Easterns (I do not have any of these from New England)...We also need to rear them out, these AND the Appies that show up in late May/early June...to verify that the early Easterns produce the second summer brood of Easterns in mid-late July and August, and to verify also that the Appies are in fact single-brooded, as we think they are...The brood sequences of all of these in southern New England also need to be carefully documented, because, among other things, I have noticed what I believe were two "spikes" in the "Appy" brood in eastern Mass. in 2002...one in early June and then what seemed like another one in early July (the second coincided with the milkweed blossoms), and David Wright has noticed a similar phenomenon in Pennsylvania...

Vouchers of "Appies" from Wachusett Mtn, MA (June 8) are virtually identical to WV appalachiensis, except for size...

Alex