[Ctleps-l] Last weekend

Peary Stafford pearydstafford at gmail.com
Mon Jul 7 09:26:01 EDT 2014

Over the weekend BK and I tried to see as many species at Steep Rock as
possible and despite some notable misses (3 Swallowtails, Red-spotted
Purple, 3 Hairstreaks) we managed to tally 30 species.

Cabbage White
Clouded Sulphur
American Copper
Banded Hairstreak
Eastern Tailed-Blue
Summer Azure
Great Spangled Fritillary
Aphrodite Fritillary
Meadow Fritillary
Baltimore Checkerspot
Question Mark
Eastern Comma
Mourning Cloak  --  3, very fresh
Red Admiral
Viceroy
Northern Pearly-eye -- seems to be a good year for them
Appalachian Brown
Little Wood-Satyr
Common Wood-Nymph
Monarch -- 4
Silver-spotted Skipper
Least Skipper
European Skipper
Peck's Skipper
Crossline Skipper
Northern Broken Dash
Little Glassywing
Delaware Skipper
Dun Skipper
Dusted Skipper -- late and worn

As others have reported, we have a great crop of milkweed this year and
little on it.  We were encouraged by the four Monarchs, but Skipper and
Hairstreak numbers which have been good on the milkweed in the past are low.

Peary and BK