[EAS]Theories of Grading

pjk pjk at design.eng.yale.edu
Mon Apr 8 17:05:47 EDT 2002

Subject:   Theories of Grading

A timely, and not burdensomely philosophical, reminder about an
end-of-semester preoccupation.  --PJK

(from NewsScan Daily, 8 April 2002)

WORTH THINKING ABOUT: THEORIES OF GRADING
      What's your favorite theory of performance evaluation? The
quality of  the work? The talent or effort of the person? How much
the person "grew"  from doing the work? Some other theory?
      Sally, the "Peanuts" character, rejects them all. Given a
grade of C,  she says to her teacher:
      "A 'C'? I got a 'C' on my coat-hanger sculpture? May I ask a
question?
      "Was I judged on the piece of sculpture itself? If so, is it
not true  that time alone can judge a work of art?
      "Or was I judged on my talent? If so, is it right that I be
judged on  a part of life over which I have no control?
      "If I was judged on my effort, then I was judged unfairly, for
I  tried as hard as I could!
      "Was I judged on what I had learned about this project? If so,
then  were not you, my teacher, also being judged on your ability to
transmit  your knowledge to me? Are you willing to share my 'C'?
      "Perhaps I was being judged on the quality of the coat hanger
itself  out of which my creation was made? Now, is this also not
unfair?
      "Am I to be judged by the quality of coat hangers that are
used by  the dry cleaning establishment that returns our garments?
Is that not the  responsibility of my parents? Should they not share
my 'C'?"
      The teacher relents, and gives Sally a higher grade.
      Whereupon Sally says to herself, "The squeaky wheel gets the
grease!"
      (And that is the text for this Monday's meditation on the
mystery of  life.)

See http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0689848218/newsscancom/
for the  "Peanuts" collection "A Charlie Brown Valentine" by Charles
Schulz -- or  look for it in your favorite library. (We donate all
revenue from our book  recommendations to adult literacy action
programs.)