[EAS] Persistent Dumb Ideas

Peter J. Kindlmann pjk at design.eng.yale.edu
Sat Jan 14 18:25:34 EST 2006

Dear Colleagues -

With a sigh and little need for additional comment I forward Bob
Park's latest missive.

In the realm of the science/technology component of curricula should
be more courses on energy, history of technology, and the Philosophy
(or Political Science?) of how some dumb ideas are impossible to
stamp out. In part they are nourished by conspiracy psychology and no
small amount of intellectual laziness in trying to understand "how
things work." In a source I cannot now recall, such "unearned
certainty" was equated with bigotry.

     --PJK