[EAS] Effective Old-Fashioned Teaching

Peter J. Kindlmann pjk at design.eng.yale.edu
Fri Feb 17 18:17:19 EST 2006

[My apologies for the resend in aid of getting the message archived properly as
<http://jove.eng.yale.edu/pipermail/eas-info/2006/000805.html>.  --PJK]

Dear Colleagues -

This resonated with me because I'm only a year short of 40 years of
teaching and recognize many of my own past practices among Prof.
Hummel's points. So, I am sure, will many of my senior Yale
colleagues.

Some more specific comments from my own teaching follow at the end of
the piece.

All best,  --PJK

>Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2006 16:04:34 -0800
>To: tomorrows-professor at lists.Stanford.EDU
>From: Rick Reis <reis at stanford.edu>
>Subject: TP Msg. #699 CONTEMPLATIONS AFTER FORTY YEARS OF TEACHING

>	<mailto:tomorrows-professor-request at lists.stanford.edu?subject=subscribe>
>Sender: tomorrows-professor-bounces at lists.stanford.edu
>
>"Dave felt that I surely had a few words to say about my past
>experiences that would be of help to new professors. Further, he
>suggested that I could possibly comment on some of the new teaching
>methods that are currently discussed and occasionally even
>implemented. I am glad to comply with his request even though I have
>to admit that I practice no spectacular new techniques. But my
>students like what I have been doing as expressed in numerous
>enthusiastic teacher evaluations. What I do is simply the following:"
>
>		*	*	*	*	*
>		TOMORROW'S PROFESSOR(SM) MAILING LIST
>	         desk-top faculty development one hundred times a year
>
>			Over 26,000 subscribers
>			Over 650 postings
>			Over 650 academic institutions
>			Over 100 countries
>
>			       Sponsored by
>               THE STANFORD UNIVERSITY CENTER FOR TEACHING AND LEARNING
>			 http://ctl.stanford.edu
>
>                   An archive of all past postings (with a two week
>delay) can be found at:
>  		http://ctl.stanford.edu/Tomprof/index.shtml
>
>		*	*	*	*	*
>Folks:
>
>The posting below give some simple and important suggestions for all
>of us to keep in mind when giving a class lecture.  It is by
>Professor Rolf E. Hummel at the University of Florida, Gainesville,
>and is now required reading for all new professors at the University
>of Florida.  The article first appeared in the University of Florida,
>"Pedagogator," Vol. 3, Issue 13, July/Aug 2005.  Reprinted with
>permission. Further suggestions for effective teaching can be found
>at the Pedagogator website:
>http://www.ucet.ufl.edu/newsletters/pedagogator.shtml
>
>Regards,
>
>Rick Reis
>reis at stanford.edu
>UP NEXT: Is There a Global Warming Toward Women in Academia?
>
>			Tomorrow's Teaching and Learning
>
>	            ------------------------------ 1,549 words
>-----------------------------
>
>		CONTEMPLATIONS AFTER FORTY YEARS OF TEACHING
>
>By Professor Rolf E. Hummel
>University of Florida - College of Engineering (Dept. of Material
>Science & Engineering)
>
>The other day I ran into my good old friend David Bloomquist. He told
>me during our curb-side chat that is now the director of the
>"University Center for Excellence in Teaching". Eventually, after
>having shown me his spacious office, he handed me a coffee mug and an
>executive ballpoint pen, both with the insignia of the Center. Then,
>after having "bribed" me this way, Dave asked me to please write a
> [...]

A few more comments from me, referencing Prof. Hummel's item numbers:

(4)-(6)  I feel much the same way. By having lots of board space and
minimizing erasing, I can immediately go back to an earlier point as
needed when a student has a question. And if I haven't covered the
board too densely, I can even make the argument a different way right
next to the earlier writing and avoid saying the same thing again,
which itself is a kind of confrontation to avoid.

(7) I sometimes give a one-minute quizz, asking the students to write
down (anonymously) the most memorable point I made, and the most
obscure or impenetrable. The statistics of both are interesting, and
provide an good start to the next lecture in the spirit of (3).

(11)  This is important even in the genteel situation described by
Prof. Hummel, but crucial if you "screw up." Students quickly develop
contempt -- here I draw on my student meetings as Director of
Undergraduate Studies -- for instructors who make mistakes, get
confused, and then do _not_ remediate next time. Once when I was
really in trouble at the board, I mumbled, while still looking to see
where I had gone wrong "This must happen to some of your other
instructors." and an unknown student's voice replied "yes, but they
cover it up better." Embarrassed though I felt, it had never occurred
to me to cover it up. Next time, I gave them a written handout by way
of clarification. This saves time, especially since equations or
schematics are likely to be at issue.

(16)  The picture gallery available though our <classes> server
avoids the need for taking your own picture. Students appreciate it
if one shows interest in them personally by learning their names
quickly, fairly easy in our generally small classes. And some
"shoppers" are more likely to stay. More importantly, this personal
approach does not make it strange when I then send email to a student
whom I don't see in a given lecture and ask why. They then know that
I care, I notice and subsequently they generally give me advance
notice if illness or an interview keep them away. This way I have had
nearly perfect attendance most of the time. Nationally, class
attendance is often not much better than 60-70% these days, and often
much less when lecture notes/slides are posted on the Web. This
personal approach doesn't scale readily, but certainly works for Yale
Engineering classes.

(17)  In this regard I have of course been particularly fortunate and
well equipped by my consulting as an adjunct. There is hardly a
circuit or instrument that I have taught about with which I have not
had first-hand experience in an industrial setting. Sometimes major
problems involved simple circuit issues. And it's nice to be able to
describe a feedback loop stabilization involving a 400kW inverter
where, when the loop went unstable, I could feel the vibrations of
the filter inductors two stories below me in a heavy concrete
building. One doesn't have to say things that could embarrass a
consulting client. Being able to speak from direct experience is
obvious pretty quickly.

(21) I do not spend time in my office so consistently that I can
follow Prof. Hummel's open door approach. My "open door" has been
email, fairly promptly responded to.
I should also mention that more than occasionally I sent the entire
class emails (also easy to do via the <classes> server) when I felt a
given lecture just didn't "connect," or when I wanted to make points
that I needed more time to think through.
If you've got the time, a couple of such emails follow below, from an
EENG226b "Introduction to Electrical Engineering" version I taught in
Spring 2005. During a given semester I might send 200 emails, both to
individual students or to the whole class, of which maybe 5-10% are
as 'weighty' as the ones that follow below.

Two samples of emails to my EENG226b class: