[EAS] New Mind for a Flat World

Peter J. Kindlmann pjk at design.eng.yale.edu
Tue Jun 20 14:19:18 EDT 2006

Dear Colleagues -

Some of you will be familiar with Richard Felder's writings on
engineering education and methodology. He is a chemical engineer at
North Carolina State, and has been very prominent in evolving ABET
criteria and preparedness. (Yale Engineering will have its next ABET
visit in the fall of 2008.)

So it is interesting to see Prof. Felder address the inadequacies of
traditional engineering education in the new "flat world" (in Thomas
Friedman's phrase), calling for more than analytical problem solving
skills, for exposure to the psychology of product design, the
economics of global technology, global business strategy, awareness
of cultural factors, and strong interpersonal and language skills.

Ironically, these are exactly the extra strengths that Yale
engineering students can get from their larger Yale context, and do
get! But many others, who originally intended to major in
engineering, extrapolate the current shifts and sort of "leap across"
engineering altogether, deciding to major in Economics, International
Studies and the like.

So although we do not face the challenge of traditional engineering
schools like North Carolina State, we do need to recognize the need
for making the case "from the other side of the fence." Our challenge
is to make the case for the continuing need of engineering design and
analytical skills as the critical "connective tissue" amidst the
global economic and cultural settings of technology.

Changes in courses and in engineering curricula will be needed to
affirm that point of view convincingly. We need to be seen, in ways
undergraduates can recognize, to speak about engineering specifics
from a global perspective. Maybe we should even audit some of the
courses in Economics, International Studies and Political Science
that represent the new "flat world." Among those courses, more
descriptive and less analytical than ours, many have readily absorbed
the implications of technology. As engineers and scientists we have
the great challenge of not diluting the necessary analytical and
logical structure within our courses, yet we must somehow "connect"
with the broader themes. Otherwise, as perceived by undergraduates,
we will continue to implode.

Please read on.

     --PJK