[Insightl] Insight course support

Elisa Lanzi ELANZI at email.smith.edu
Mon Nov 8 14:55:48 EST 2004

Dear Robin,
We done something similar to Yale, that is, place metadata in a notes
field indicating a special collection of images. For example "Gardner
maps." It's very easy to pull all of this together.
We are not creating many new real collections because of what Karen
notes....and
- we don't want to require users to open up too many collections for
curricular use. We're already having problems with all of the personal
collections that faculty have created.
- every time you make a new collection, fields need to mapped for cross
collection searching.

For weekly lectures, faculty have their own folder  and it's up to them
as to how they organize the groups. We create the folder and control the
folder names (e.g., arhWard) so that the list is alphabetical by
department.

I agree with Karen. A collection level group is your best bet. But just
try to explain the difference between a collection level group vs. a
collection, vs. a group vs. a virtual collection to users. It might help
if Insight made those collection level group folders a different color.
And call them something else.

Thanks,
Elisa

Elisa Lanzi
Director, Imaging Center
Smith College Art Dept.Imaging Center
Hillyer Hall
Northampton, MA 01063
Past-President, Visual Resources Association
VOICE: 413.585.3106
FAX: 413.585.3119
elanzi at email.smith.edu

http://www.vraweb.org

>>> Karen Reardon <karen.reardon at yale.edu> 11/8/2004 2:29:59 PM >>>

For courses with stable content - for example a course on the City of
New
Haven - we record in the data record a value that ties all the images
together - you can then easily search and pull together all images for

this course - we then save them as a collection level group - for
example, 'New Haven Images'. Faculty for this course were then
interested in sorting
images into neighborhood - so we note the neighborhood in the record
and can
query and create collection level groups easily.  We link to these
image
groups in several ways - both from within Insight and externally to it,

so we use collection level groups not 'folder level' groups.  Of course
as
more images are added we can easily sort them into groups.

We also have faculty who would like images grouped by course week, so
there is one group of images for the entire course - then individual
groups for each week of lecture.

We have not created separate collections - there are issues that arise

with viewing images from mulitiple collections (not available from the

browser for instance) that make this not desirable from our viewpoint.
also would not want to have to go through the process of creating
individual collections for each supported course.

-Karen Reardon
Manager of Web, Workstation & Digital Consulting Services
Yale University Library