[Mendele] Mendele Vol. 18.021

Victor Bers victor.bers at yale.edu
Sun Mar 8 21:43:49 EDT 2009

Mendele: Yiddish literature and language

Contents of Vol. 18.021
March 8, 2009

1) Help with a photo taken at the Czernowitz Conference (Jack Berger)
2) "Froyen in di getos" (Rukhl Eissenstat)
3) khaven (Martin Jacobs)
4) "Gits arayn a nekhomele" (Zachary Baker)
5) Wedding invitations  in Yiddish (Eli Rosenblatt)

1)----------------------------------------------------
Date:  February 20, 2009
Subject: Help with a photo taken at the Czernowitz Conference

Be aware that Helena Peretz was YL Peretz' second wife:

1876    Law examinations. Is divorced from his wife - Sarah - his son Lucian
remains with him. He publishes a poem in "HaShakhar" called "Dividing
Wisdom" and "It Is Said to Me;" In A. B. Gotlober's "Light in the Morning,"
a Hebrew poem, "Nagniel."

1877    Together with G. Y. Lichtenfeld, published a collection of Hebrew
songs and poems "Stories in Song and Various Songs." Publishes a larger
poem in "Light in the Morning," "Kiddush HaShem." Took examinations and
began to practice in Zamosc as a private attorney. In August, became
acquainted with Helena (Nechama) Ringelheim from Leczna, is smitten, and
writes her often, longer letters in Polish, Russian.

1878    Married Helena on February 14, settles himself in Zamosc for ten
full
years a successful attorney, with an active office, which for a while
employs several people. Travels with the legal system to nearby towns.

Jack Berger

2)----------------------------------------------------
Date: February 22, 2009
Subject: "Froyen in di getos"

Does anyone know about the book "Froyen in di getos," printed 1946, ed. L.
Shpizman, put out by Pionern Froyen Organizatsie?

Rukhl Eissenstat

3)----------------------------------------------------
Date: March 6, 2009
Subject:  khaven

What does "khaven" mean in the following?

In our story, a German torpedo is heading directly for the ship.  The
author then writes: "ale lebedike bashefenishn af ir [der shif] hot es
ufgevekt.  ale hobn genumen loyfn un khaven.  ale hobn bagrifn az men kemft
farn lebn." (The word is spelled "khaven", and since the orthography is
old, it might really be "khavn."  However, since it seems to be a Slavism,
my assumption is that it is "khaven," as spelled.)

Martin Jacobs

4)----------------------------------------------------
Date:  February 26, 2009
Subject: "Gits arayn a nekhomele"

I've been asked to forward the following query to the list:

Does anyone know the correct text for the Yiddish ditty, usually appended
to Or zarua la-tsadik:

Gits arayn a nekhomele
in a yidishe neshomele

The above is what I remember from my youth.

Another version I have seen is:

Gits arayn, oy, nekhomelekh
in a yidishe neshomele

A friend questioned gits arayn and thought it should be gist aryan, i.e.
pour, but I distinctly remember gits. I always thought it was derived from
gebn rather than gisn. But then Weinreich has gist under gebn, which is
puzzling.

Someone else questioned yidishe, pointing out that it should be yidish
(sing?), but again I distinctly remember yidishe (maybe it's just needed to
scan).

Or maybe its nekhomelekh in yidishe neshomelekh.

Any light that can be shed on this puzzle would be appreciated.

Zachary Baker

5)----------------------------------------------------
Date: February 28, 2009
Subject:  Wedding invitations in Yiddish

I am getting married in August and am diligently trying to work out some
details. Our invitations are going to be in English, Yiddish and Hebrew.
Whereas we have some ideas as to the wording of the Hebrew and English
texts, we don't know how Yiddish invitations were typically written. Can
anyone give us an idea of how a Yiddish wedding invitation would have been
worded?

mit frayndlikhn grusn,

Eli Rosenblatt
End of Mendele Vol. 18.021

Please do not use the "reply" key when writing to Mendele. Instead,
direct your mail as
follows:

Material for Mendele Personal Notices & Announcements, i.e.
announcements of events,
commercial publications, etc., always in plain text (no HTML or the
like) to:

   victor.bers at yale.edu (in the subject line write Mendele Personal)

Material for postings to Mendele Yiddish literature and language, i.e.
inquiries and
comments of a non-commercial or publicity nature:

    mendele at mailman.yale.edu

IMPORTANT:  Please include your full name as you would like it to appear
in your
posting.  No posting will appear without its author's name.
Submissions to regular Mendele should not include personal email
addresses, as

In order to spare the shamosim time and effort, we request that
contributors adhere, when
applicable, as closely as possible to standard English punctuation,
grammar, etc. and to
the YIVO rules of transliteration into Latin letters. A guide to
Romanization can be
found
at this site: http://www.yivoinstitute.org/about/index.php?tid=57&aid=275

All other messages should be sent to the shamosim at this address:
mendele at mailman.yale.edu

Mendele on the web: http://shakti.trincoll.edu/~mendele/index.htm