[NHCOLL-L:270] Re: molluscan periostracum

Alex Barker Abarker at dmnhnet.org
Thu Oct 7 10:11:15 EDT 1999

I have nothing to add to Sally's excellent post regarding Byne's disease,
but Emily also mentioned the recommendation that all archaeological shell
materials by housed in dessicant storage.  Should prevent Byne's disease,
but obviously if the shells are part of composite objects including leather,
wood, etc., you'll want to factor that into the equation as well-especially
for the material that doesn't currently exhibit Byne's disease.  That's more
of a balancing act, but I'd lean toward the lower RH in any event.  As an
archaeologist studying engraved shell gorgets, of course, I may have a
slight bias...

AB
Alex W. Barker, Curator of Archaeology
Dallas Museum of Natural History
PO Box 150349
Dallas, TX 75315-0349
(214) 421-3466 ext. 244  FAX (214) 428-4356
abarker at dmnhnet.org