[NHCOLL-L:272] molluscan periostracum

Charles Sturm csturmjr+ at pitt.edu
Thu Oct 7 17:19:22 EDT 1999

Another point to ponder, and one that I stressed in a presentation at this
years American Malacological Society mtg., is for amateurs to document, on
the specimen label, what tratments if any they have applied to a shell.
It is one thing to say we should keep our shells in pristine condition,
but since museums receive donations of collections from amateurs, we must
let them know that what they do to a shell will be important down this
line.  Documenting this information in a book is not good enough.  They
must keep the documentation with the specimens.

since I posed the question about using treatments, I will answer what my
practice is.  In general the shells are put into the collection "as is".
The only shells that I treat are ones that are collected dead and are
affected by peeling periostracum.  I feel that the only way to maintain
what is flaking off is by "moisturizing" it and I have experimented with
mineral oil and silicon oil.  Hence my question "What are others doing?".
I too try to avoid the organic solvents such as acetone and xylene because
of the respiratory side effect.  However, used in a fumehood or a WELL
VENTILATED setting they have not caused me any problems.

Charlie
Charlie Sturm, Jr
Research Associate - Section of Invertebrate Zoology
                     Carnegie Museum of Natural History, Pittsburgh, PA
Assistant Professor - Family Medicine

csturmjr at pitt.edu