[NHCOLL-L:821] the cost of collections care

Remko Jansonius rjansonius at miamisci.org
Tue Dec 19 13:51:20 EST 2000

Dear colleagues -

Is there anything like a (ballpark) dollar figure for the cost of
collections care? Something that takes into account space, storage
supplies, record keeping, maintenance, staff time, etc? For example
per item (whatever type), or amount of storage space, etc.
Several years ago I heard people talk about this, but I don't know if
there actual was such a figure, or if it would even be possible to
come to such a figure.
If there is, such a figure could be very useful in convincing "them"
(private funders, board members, the finance department, etc) of my
needs.

Any response would be greatly appreciated, either through the list,
or directly to my e-mail address.

Thanks!

Remko Jansonius
Director of Collections