[NHCOLL-L:822] Re: the cost of collections care

Janet Waddington janetw at rom.on.ca
Tue Dec 19 15:33:30 EST 2000

There was a whole session devoted to the financial value of collections at the 1995 Manchester England conference on The Value and Valuation of Natural Science Collections.   see The Value and Valuation of Natural Science Collections (J. R. Nudds and C. W. Pettitt, eds), The Geological Society, Bath, UK. 276 pp. 1997

Some of the factors to be considered are discussed in papers by Lord, Lord and Nicks and by Cleland, Horie and Wallace.  The costs are in UK currencies, but the factors will be the same.

Good luck,

Janet Waddington
Palaeobiology
Royal Ontario Museum

>>> Remko Jansonius <rjansonius at miamisci.org> 12/19/00 01:51PM >>>
Dear colleagues -

Is there anything like a (ballpark) dollar figure for the cost of
collections care? Something that takes into account space, storage
supplies, record keeping, maintenance, staff time, etc? For example
per item (whatever type), or amount of storage space, etc.
Several years ago I heard people talk about this, but I don't know if
there actual was such a figure, or if it would even be possible to
come to such a figure.
If there is, such a figure could be very useful in convincing "them"
(private funders, board members, the finance department, etc) of my
needs.

Any response would be greatly appreciated, either through the list,
or directly to my e-mail address.

Thanks!

Remko Jansonius
Director of Collections