[NHCOLL-L:608] FW: Re: concerns re display of extinct bird specim ens

Panza, Robin PanzaR at CarnegieMuseums.Org
Wed Jun 14 14:21:44 EDT 2000

               IT seems to me there are a couple of separate questions here.
One is security from theft--are the specimens safe from humans who might
think it would be fun to own an extinct bird.  The dodo bones aren't likely
to be suffering from public display, so the concern is theft.  This is not
that different from the question of theft of something exotic, like a bird
of paradise, or a piece of pottery.  Do you consider the area and the
housing to be reasonable for other display materials?  Then I would think it
adequate for the bones.

The other security question is whether the specimen should be exposed to the
potential damage of display.  The real question here is scientific value,
and part of their scientific value is collection data.  For something like
Passenger Pigeons, I don't see this as a big deal.  There are many PPs in
collections, so anything without (or with poor) data is not especially
valuable.  If the ones you have on exhibit are  like this, their value for
education far outweigh the risk of damage (in my opinion, anyway).  At the
other extreme, if you're exhibiting one of the only specimens left of a
species and you have good collection data on it, perhaps its educational
value does not justify exhibition.  The duck and the curlew might fall into
this category, again, depending on the data with them.

How's that for an emphatic, resounding maybe?

just my 2 cents,
Robin

Robin K Panza                         panzar at carnegiemuseums.org
Collection Manager, Section of Birds          ph:  412-622-3255
Carnegie Museum of Natural History       fax: 412-622-8837
4400 Forbes Ave.
Pittsburgh  PA  15213-4008  USA