[NHCOLL-L:482] Re: natural history collections database

Doug Yanega dyanega at pop.ucr.edu
Tue Mar 7 18:56:22 EST 2000

>I'm curious as to which databases are being used in natural history
>collections ie. birds, mammals,herbariums etc.

Take a good look at the upcoming release (version 4) of BIOTA. In our
museum we're using the present incarnation of BIOTA for some purposes, but
using FileMaker Pro for others (due to the relative speed of data entry).
>From talking to Rob Colwell, it sounds like some of the problems we've had
with BIOTA's data entry interface will be resolved in version 4, and I
would look there before looking at anything else. I certainly have never
seen anything *better* on the market, though FileMaker Pro isn't a very
distant second.

Peace,

           http://insects.ucr.edu/staff/yanega.html