[NHCOLL-L:1368] Bugs in bird collection - what to do?

Chris Hill chill at kingfish.coastal.edu
Thu Dec 6 23:23:09 EST 2001

I inherited and oversee a small teaching collection of bird skins and some
formax-preserved birds.  There are small insects infesting some of the
specimens. Mothballs seem ineffective.

I have access to a -80 freezer.

Will freezing kill the bugs?  How long, how often?

How best to kill any remaining bugs/eggs in the specimen case? (steel,
conventional museum cabinet, with foam gaskets around the doors.)

Please forgive me if I am going over old ground, and feel free to direct
me elsewhere if you know a good source.  I failed to find answers by
browsing several related websites.

Chris Hill

Christopher E. Hill
Department of Biology
Coastal Carolina University			Ph: 843.349.2567
P.O. Box 261954					Fax:843.349.2201
Conway, SC 29528				E: chill at coastal.edu

Don't become an ornithologist if you can help it.
But if you can't help it, go ahead.  - Frank Chapman