[NHCOLL-L:1369] Invoicing loans of specimens

Alexandra M. Snyder amsnyder at unm.edu
Fri Dec 7 12:42:21 EST 2001

Thanks to all those on the list who have kept the rest of us up on current
USPS practices and the new security measures as they apply to mailing
natural history specimens.   However, I would like to emphasize that now,
more than ever, an invoice should be sent under separate cover "announcing"
to a receipient that they should be expecting specimens in the mail.  Even
when using express mail, as silly as it may seem,  an invoice should be
sent under separate cover.

I know that for many of you this is not a new idea and is part of your loan
protocol.  However, I continue to receive loan returns and other
transactions without a separate invoice preceding the box of specimens.
"In my world" these "invoiceless" transactions are becoming more common.
Many think that email is a solution but in my opinion it is not the way to
formalize a museum transaction.

And sending an invoice enclosed with the specimens is like sending no
invoice at all!  If the box is lost, so is the invoice and the receipient
will never know the difference...until it is too late to possibly track the
box.

Alexandra M. Snyder, Collection Manager
Division of Fishes
Museum of Southwestern Biology