[NHCOLL-L:890] USFWS 50 CFR parts 13 & 14 (was: Know what we need?)

Doug Yanega dyanega at pop.ucr.edu
Wed Feb 7 19:40:16 EST 2001

Some private contacts prompted me to post this, since the hubbub happened
some years ago and many people don't have copies of these EXTREMELY
important regs. A link everyone who works in a museum or collects specimens
for a museum should know:

http://www.access.gpo.gov/su_docs/aces/aces140.html

Will get you to the Federal Register, where you can look up Federal
Register, Volume 61 (1996) pp. 31850-31873 [a.k.a. FR Doc. 96-15388]

and get a PDF copy of USFWS 50 CFR parts 13 & 14 at (this worked for me):

http://frwebgate4.access.gpo.gov/cgi-bin/waisgate.cgi?WAISdocID=901112321+0+
1+0&WAISaction=retrieve

This is the final version of the regs that came out, granting many
exemptions for accredited scientific institutions and their affiliates, in
section 14.24 - something which should be required reading for every
customs inspection agent, as well. I quote:

"...allows accredited scientists or accredited scientific institutions to
import or export, at any Customs port or through the international mail
system, dead, preserved, dried, or embedded taxonomic or systematic
collection specimens."

No one should carry or ship specimens without a copy of this regulation,
since it is clear that at least a few agents are unaware of this.

Jon, you might want to put the latter link on the SPNHC web page.

Peace,

           http://entmuseum9.ucr.edu/staff/yanega.html