[NHCOLL-L:1673] Re: Pinned Insect Specimen Labels

Dennis Paulson dpaulson at ups.edu
Tue Aug 6 16:25:27 EDT 2002

Brad Hubley wrote:

>Are we engaged in overkill by creating these bottom labels?  Is the top
>label information enough?  FWIW, all of this information is stored in our
>database (MS-Access) and the labels generated by exporting to WordPerfect
>(so we can format the labels).   If we were to go with just the top label,
>all of the information that we now print on the bottom label can be easily
>located in the database by searching for the ROM number, e.g. ROM 2002502.
>Or would most folks like to see the additional information on the bottom
>label?

Brad, I think you can't have too much information on the label that
accompanies a specimen.  Folding the label over to get twice the info on a
single label seems like an ingenious way to include more information, and
I'm all for it.  Someone who borrows the specimen will appreciate having it
there rather than having to query your database (even if your database is
on line, it would take additional time to check it).  I've always thought
it was a shame that insect labels have to be so small, and any way to
increase the information without adding still another label on a pin (which
eventually makes all of them hard to read) is a good idea.

Dennis Paulson, Director                           phone 253-879-3798
Slater Museum of Natural History                 fax 253-879-3352
University of Puget Sound                       e-mail dpaulson at ups.edu
1500 N. Warner, #1088
Tacoma, WA 98416-1088
http://www.ups.edu/biology/museum/museum.html