[NHCOLL-L:1681] Design Specs for Fluid Collections Storage Areas

Kathryn Makos Makoska at oems.si.edu
Wed Aug 14 14:14:45 EDT 2002

Dear list-members,

The National Museum of Natural History (Washington, DC) is planning to build a large fluid collections storage building, and although we have some definite safety, health, and fire protection requirements in mind, we would also benefit greatly from the expertise of any of you who have recently built or upgraded fluid storage areas.  We are hoping to be able to visit such facilities , or at least have the opportunity to speak with their designers and users.  The issues of most concern include: use of compactors and how one designs to the variable flammable loads this configuration presents; use of local exhaust ventilation in the storage area itself for in-place observations; design of affiliated lab spaces for study, observation, sorting, topping-off etc (i.e., mechanisms for moving closed tanks and jars to a dedicated area with hoods etc....does this work in practice?); spill control protection; limitations of operations due to need for explosion proof equipment and fixtures.

Many thanks in advance for any of you who may have a moment to share your success stories!

Kathryn A. Makos, MPH, CIH
Industrial Hygienist
Office of Safety and Environmental Management
Smithsonian Institution
PO Box 37012
Victor Building, Room 9100, MRC 932
Washington, DC 20013-7012