[NHCOLL-L:1473] Re: specimen boxes

Jean-Marc Gagnon JMGAGNON at MUS-NATURE.CA
Fri Feb 8 12:41:32 EST 2002

Dear Julia,
	You may well be interested in checking the information about the archival-quality PET containers on our website (http://www.nature.ca/prodserv/afstor_e.cfm). The lidded boxes where developed specifically for mollusc collections, although they are quite adaptable. Most of our collection (about 120K samples) has now been tranferred to these containers and we are quite satisfied. Several other museums in Canada and the US are also using them with great success.
	Please feel free to contact me if you need more information.

Cordially,

Jean-Marc Gagnon
a/Director, Collections Services
Canadian Museum of Nature
P.O. Box 3443, Station D
Ottawa, Ontario
Canada   K1P 6P4
Tel: (613) 364-4066
Fax: (613) 364-4022
e-mail: jmgagnon at mus-nature.ca

>>> Julia Sigwart <sigwart at amnh.org> 8 February 2002  11:10 AM >>>

Dear folk,

What are your recommendations for suppliers of archival specimen boxes (in
this case, for mollusc shells)? In the near future I particularly need
trays that measure 1 1/2 x 1 7/8 x 5/8 inches (interior dimensions).
However, I'm not really overly picky about dimesions, since there is
considerable variability between individual drawers in our cabinets. I'd
prefer to be able to order something as a company's standard size, and it
is of course very important that the boxes be acid-free, etc.

Thanks for any input!

Julia Sigwart

Mollusca Collections
Div. of Invertebrate Zoology