[NHCOLL-L:1640] transporting wet specimens - thank you for advice

MAGGIE REILLY Mreilly at museum.gla.ac.uk
Fri Jun 28 07:48:00 EDT 2002

Dear Colleagues

Posting a follow up to my query on the above to thank those that
replied offering valuable advice - Leonore Barbian, John
Simmons,
Holly McEntee, Paula Hildebrandt, Richard Rosenblatt, Kathie
Wayand Tony Irwin-and to say what I did.
Here is the original query:

we hope to lend another institution, amongst other things,
2 wet -preserved juvenile shark skeletons, both mounted in
rectangular-section glass display jars with sealed-on glass plate
lids. The specimens are tied onto glass backplates within the jar
and the backplates are braced against the sides of the jar with
rods set top and bottom. Road transport by van over ca 180
miles is necessary to get the specimens from us to them. I
have concerns about properly packing these jars for transport to
minimise the risk to the actual specimens from vibration. How
best can one do this? We are not keen to remove the specimens
from the jars and pack them separately. The dimensions of the
jars are 80x14x12cm and 56x19x12cm.

What I did was this; we got a large (25 gallon?) plastic drum to
use as the container; started by topping up the specimens so
that there was very little air space in the jars; wrapped the jar in
bubblewrap then put it into a large poly bag and tied the top;
padded the bottom of the drum with several layers of bubble
wrap, sat the jars in, used more bubble wrap to pad between
them, cross-braced the jars using some stout cardboard tubing
wedged into the drum; filled the drum up with vermiculite and
polystyrene chips. The van used to transport the specimens was
a top quality custom-fitted van for the transport of fragile and
valuable materials. I had confirmation today that the specimens
arrived in perfect condition at the other institution. Thank you all
for your help and if anyone wants it I can give a bit more detail on
the replies I received.

Best wishes

Maggie Reilly
Maggie Reilly