[NHCOLL-L:1770] Re: GenBank

Jim Croft jrc at anbg.gov.au
Fri Nov 22 16:27:44 EST 2002

This is also a failure of journal editorial policy...

It is all very well to require to require that sequences must be lodged
with Genbank, but if you do not know, or can not independently verify what
the sequence is of, then your scientific evidence, well... isn't.

This is especially important in biodiversity and systematic studies where
the taxa may not be well known or are not unequivocal. The editors and
reviewers should have picked up that that the trail of evidence was broken
and that  a voucher or reference specimen should have been cited in the
paper.   It would be nice if Genbank could enforce this requirement
too.  In the case below, given that the tissue was extracted from
documented specimens, it is a egregious oversight that these specimens were
not cited.

Having said all that, there are practical considerations - there are limits
to the number of stuffed cows or sheep museums want to hold in their
collections... :)

jim