[NHCOLL-L:2170] RE: plaster cast (cleaning/gluing/sealing) inquiry

Bente Loudon benteloudon at hotmail.com
Wed Dec 10 13:31:49 EST 2003

Dear Kate,

In her book 'The Reception of Classical Art in Britain - An Oxford Story of
Plaster Casts from the Antique' Donna Kurtz mentions on page 309 that
Bernard Ashmole and his assistant Mohamed Saleh perfected a process of
cleaning wholly untreated plaster casts with potato starch, pasting it over
the surface, leaving it to dry on statues for twelwe hours or so, and then
peeling it off; shellac sealed statues could be sponge cleaned with
detergent.
British Archaelolgical Reports (BAR) British Series 308, Studies in the
History of Collections 1, 2000, ISBN 1 84171 092X

Regards           Bente T. Loudon