[NHCOLL-L:1805] Re: glass-topped insect drawers - earthquake risk?

Doug Yanega dyanega at pop.ucr.edu
Thu Jan 9 21:00:19 EST 2003

Here in California's quake zone, we actually don't worry about the
glass - the only way it's likely to shatter in such a way as to
damage specimens is if the entire cabinet of drawers falls over -
and, frankly, if an earthquake is bad enough that the entire cabinet
topples, the specimens are going to be severely damaged whether the
glass is shatter-proof or not. Basically, then, what we did is have
EVERY cabinet bolted to the walls and/or floors so absolutely nothing
will topple. Securing the cabinets this way costs some money, but
it's several orders of magnitude cheaper than custom-ordering 5,000
drawers with an added cost of 20 US$ per.

Sincerely,

            http://entmuseum9.ucr.edu/staff/yanega.html