[NHCOLL-L:1978] large mouth containers

Southeastern Regional Taxonomic Center sertc at mrd.dnr.state.sc.us
Thu Jun 26 09:43:06 EDT 2003

Hello all,

We are having some difficulty obtaining large, wide mouth jars for the
purposes of archival storage of larger specimens, such as decapods and
echinoderms that are 20+cm diameter. We have been finding large jars for the
specimens but the mouths are generally smaller, making it difficult to fit
the specimens in and equally difficult to remove them once they have become
rigid.

We are looking for jars that have mouths that are 20+ cm in diameter and
have a large diameter:height aspect ratio (i.e. a jar that would contain a
large, flat sea star or sea urchin without wasting much space on the
collection shelves).

If you know of any manufactures that can provide these types of (wide, flat)
jars please respond to me at the address below. Your collective input will
be greatly appreciated (much to the demise of large invertebrates in the
Atlantic :) )

Cheers,

Susan Thornton-DeVictor

Southeastern Regional Taxonomic Center