[NHCOLL-L:1934] Tanning Florida Panther Hides

JMcconachie at nmmnh.state.nm.us JMcconachie at nmmnh.state.nm.us
Wed May 14 11:11:29 EDT 2003

Forwarded message:

Our museum is the repository for the FL panthers that are being hit by cars
in droves (nearly a dozen per year).  Currently, we are trying to tan hides
for all of them; a practice that may not continue due to costs (time and
materials).  The biggest problem is that we have no place to dry the skins
before tanning (the salting part of the procedure).  Our off-site facility
is not climate controlled very well, and is too humid to dry the skins with
salt.  We have stiff pressure not to do it in the main collection area
(attracting bugs, and repelling donors who visit ;-)  My question is "have
you seen a better desiccant that we can use instead of salt?"  This may
speed up the procedure, or work in high humidity; either of which would
help.  All the techniques that I can find simply use a salt-based drying
agent.

Please respond to: reed at biology.utah.edu

Jackie G. McConachie
Museum Registrar
New Mexico Museum of Natural History
1801 Mountain Road NW
Albuquerque, NM 87104

e-mail:  jmcconachie at nmmnh.state.nm.us
office (voice mail):  (505) 841-2854  fax: (505) 841-2866

Visit the museum website at:  www.NMnaturalhistory.org