[NHCOLL-L:2219] RE: new cabinets: points to consider

Paul Callomon callomon at acnatsci.org
Fri Feb 20 08:30:15 EST 2004

I would add a vote for Steel Fixtures and their frontmen Biblio Design. We had a number of unusual criteria in rehousing our dry mollusk collection, including low floor loading limits and the need to expand the capacity of the collection while not increasing its gross weight, and we were able to work with SF to design a good solution (about which I will be giving a presentation at SPNHC this year). Our custom-built cabinets feature simple d-section gaskets that can be replaced in an hour with no adhesives when it becomes necessary, and are so far proving durable and well-finished.
Feedback and support from both firms have been very good, and our initial decision to choose SF/Biblio over its rivals has been justifiied - not to mention that theirs was by far the lowest bid price.

PC.

Paul Callomon
Collections Manager
Malacology, Invertebrate Paleontology and General Invertebrates
Department of Malacology
Academy of Natural Sciences
1900 Parkway, Philadelphia PA 19103-1195, USA
Tel 215-405-5096
Fax 215-299-1170
Secretary, American Malacological Society
On the web at http://erato.acnatsci.org/ams/

>>> "Rich Rabeler" <rabeler at umich.edu> 02/19/04 11:45PM >>>
I'd like to comment on two aspects that I now look at in cabinetry.  The gasketing; the material, how it's installed, and how easy (or difficult) it would be to replace if one had to do so.  That is one of the features that switched my allegiance from Lane to Interior (Viking) cabinets.

Whatever handles you choose, be they recessed or conventional, be sure they are large enough for folks to easily operate.  I still hear about the recessed handles on one batch of cabinets; they are only about 2" across and difficult for some to grasp.

The next time we purchase cabinets I think we will be seriously considering Paramount Cabinets.  I can't speak from an "owners" perspective, but several of the features that I have seen on one that was able to inspect suggest a quality product.  The major installation of their cabinetry that I am aware of is at the New York Botanical Garden Herbarium.

Sincerely,

Rich Rabeler,
University of Michigan Herbarium