[NHCOLL-L:2309] shipping methods for specimens

James B. Ladonski jladonski at fieldmuseum.org
Wed Jun 16 12:18:05 EDT 2004

Hi all,

Building on Greg's question last week regarding alcohol shipments, who is
your preferred courier for 1) domestic and 2) international loan
shipments?  We (Amphibians and Reptiles at the Field Museum) have used UPS
for domestic and USPS air mail for international for several years now, but
we've had problems with air mail in the last year or so (packages literally
taking months to reach even major cities like Paris).  Given this problem,
we'd like to be able to track our packages (not possible with regular USPS
air mail).  Our only viable options appear to be 1) use a private courier
like UPS, FedEx, or DHL; or 2) use USPS air mail and insure the shipment
for a nominal value.  Option 1 is very costly, so much so that we cannot
use it except in very special circumstances.  That leaves us with Option 2,
but we are concerned that insuring the shipment will require the recipient
to pay a duty to collect the package from their post office.  What is your
experience with this, both personally and from what you know of policies in
other countries?

Thanks for any advice you can offer,

Jamie

Mr. James B. Ladonski