[NHCOLL-L:2318] Re: shipping methods for specimens

sam sam at qty.com
Wed Jun 16 14:51:49 EDT 2004

Jamie and all-

We ship products to foreign destinations probably much more frequently than
even a big museum ships specimen loans.  Although sometimes we must use
USPS for international shipments we much prefer UPS, Fed Ex, and
DHL.  Insuring a USPS shipment doesn't accomplish anything, it doesn't make
safe, timely delivery any more likely, nor am I aware of ever collecting on
an USPS insurance claim.  Although I have heard of other companies having
problems using the three big private carriers we have never experienced any
problem with them.  I must admit USPS is good domestically, but for
international shipping, .... it sucks.  So we occasionally suffer a little
financial loss when a USPS package gets lost or destroyed, it's the cost of
doing business, but scientific specimens are not replaceable.  Other
shippers have different experiences ....
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&q=USPS+UPS+Fed+Ex+problem&btnG=Search

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&q=USPS+UPS+Fed+Ex+international+problem&btnG=Search

Cheers
Sam