[NHCOLL-L:2486] Appraisals

White, Rich RichW at thewildlifemuseum.org
Wed Nov 24 15:35:19 EST 2004

Sue is quite right.  The IRS Form 8283 Noncash Charitable Contributions,
is signed by the receiving institution to certify three things only:
That the receiving institution is a 501(c)3 Charitable Institution, to
certify the date of receipt and to certify the accuracy of the listing
of the items.  It does not certify the appraisal.  As the receiving
institution, you aren't permited under IRS regulations to have anything
to do with the appraisal.

We do not even suggest appraisers to the donor, if the donation is
coming to us.  We sometimes have provided a list of what we believe to
be reputable appraisers to someone who is making a donation to some
other instiution.  We will discuss with the donor the philosophy that
the IRS has taken in recent years towards the valuation of natural
history items, specifically that a "fair market value" is now
ascertainable, largely via eBay and through a number of brokers who
regularly sell the items in question.

I have seen appraisals which do take into account the scientific value
of the specimens.  Specimens with full provenance data certainly have a
"value added" aspect.  If the slide collection, for example, has
complete documentation (where and when taken, and by whom, or is
associted with field notebooks, etc.) the value would be greater than
the simple cost of the materials.  If the slides document habitat or
animals which are no longer extant, then there would be value added.
You'd (that is, the donor)likely need to get an appraisal by both a
natural history type, and an archivist type, but it could be done.

Rich

Richard S. White, Jr.
Director
International Wildlife Museum
4800 West Gates Pass Road
Tucson, Arizona 85745
520-629-0100 extension 252
Fax: 520-618-3561

It is my understanding, under laws governing non-profits and tax
deductible donations, that your institution is prohibited from providing
an appraisal.  It is the donor's responsibility to get that information.
Your people merely sign the IRS form 8283 indicating that you received
the donation as detailed by the donor and his/her appraiser.  This
should not be something that the donor holds against your institution
because it is built into the law and she will run into it wherever she
makes her donations.

Sue