[NHCOLL-L:2599] RE: HELP!! mainstreaming cultural history and natural history databases

Herbel, Carrie L. Carrie.Herbel at sdsmt.edu
Mon Mar 21 10:37:34 EST 2005

Michele,

At the Museum of Geology we are using a customized version of Re:Discovery for our vertebrate fossil collections.  Later  we will be doing this for our IP, Paleobotany, Osteology, and Mineral collections.  It virtually matches the format originally designed for the National Park Service, but this software is formally called ANCS+ rather than Re:Discovery.  We did this since the major portion of our collections are NPS specimens.  It also has a short learning curve with high security levels that we require in order to protect site location and other sensitive data.  In addition, we have received EXCELLENT and rapid assistance from Re:Discovery for any problem (big or small).

Initially, we used Access.  What a pain and so easy to screw up certain fields with novice data input people (students).  Then we worked on using an Oracle based program at one time, but found that the learning curve was extremely steep and we would have to have a dedicated data input staff member...something we could not afford.  Then we looked into Specify - again, a steep learning curve with major difficulty downloading our NPS data into the program.

We have recently found out the Bureau of Reclamation also uses a customized version of Re:Discovery (quite similar to NPS).  BOR is another partner in which we care for fossils collected during projects funded by them.  What makes this a good program for us is the amount of data we download into the system monthly, many put together via Excel with the same fields.  We can also download Access (more difficult though), too, into this collections software.

So all in all, with our Partners using Re:Discovery, the easy learning curve, and great assistance from the program developers, we are EXTREMELY happy about this program.  Soon we will be loading images into each file to aid in researchers studying the specimens from afar and to get it on a web-site once our server bugs are worked out.

If you want a list of our fields, please let me know.  We have them listed in a Word document to assist students with data entry into Excel prior to downloading into Re:Discovery.  Contact me directly for this information.

Thanks.

Carrie
Carrie L. Herbel
Collections Manager/Instructor
Museum of Geology
South Dakota School of Mines & Technology
501 East Saint Joseph Street
Rapid City, SD  57701
Office:  605-394-2487
Fax:  605-394-6131