[NHCOLL-L:2648] Re: IATA and China

James B. Ladonski jladonski at fieldmuseum.org
Wed May 11 09:54:45 EDT 2005

Thanks Greg,

This is interesting, as it seems like dealing with these couriers is always
a case of luck.  Meaning, the answers you get depend on who you talk
to.  In the case of the package our Fishes staff sent to Brazil, our
collection manager spoke with several people at DHL, at several different
management levels, receiving assurances that she had packed and labelled
everything correctly.  All this just to have the package stopped halfway to
its destination and returned because it turns out it wasn't acceptable
after all.

My favorite personal experience dealing with the couriers' happened a few
months ago when I called FedEx to schedule pickup of a couple packages, one
to Japan and one to France.  The customer service rep said they could not
accept the packages since they contain "dead animals".  I even talked to a
person in their legal department and pleaded and tried to argue the case
that these are biological specimens, they are for scientific research,
etc., etc., but  I was unsuccessful.  The fact that they were hazmat was
not the issue.  This all came up because the service rep asked me what was
in the package, and I said "museum specimens for scientific research".  She
needed more detailed info, and so I told her "preserved reptiles".  She
then said, "oh, I don't think we can ship that" and I was on and off hold
for several minutes while she tried to get an answer.  Eventually I talked
to a paralegal who put me on hold while she spoke to one of the lawyers, so
this did come from a position of some authority within FedEx.

There is a prohibition on FedEx's web site against sending dead animals -
click on "Terms and Conditions" on the right side of this page: (
http://www.fedex.com/us/services/intl/priority.html?link=4 ).  This opens a
JavaScript window - look at #30, "Prohibited Items".  Number 20 under that
section is what they are basing this on, I suppose.  Sorry insect folks -
you are singled out!

Now, I realize many of you use FedEx for shipping hazmat (and non-hazmat)
specimens everyday without incident.  But my point is simply, beware!  You
may find yourself being told the same thing.

Jamie