[NHCOLL-L:2653] Re: IATA and China

Gregory Watkins-Colwell gregory.watkins-colwell at yale.edu
Thu May 12 08:22:28 EDT 2005

interesting that formalin caused the stir when the documentation we've read
shows that the concentrations we use are under the specified % of
formaldehyde that needs to be in the solution to be an official
hazard.  The smallest concentration regulated, according to our IATA and US
DOT books, is 25% formaldehyde in solution.  Yikes!  I can't even imagine
how my eyes would feel working with that in the volumes with which we use
the dilute formula.

Please correct my chemistry/math if I'm wrong.  But we start with a 33%
solution of formaldehyde and mix it with water in a 1:9 ratio to make what
we all call a 10% solution.  The amount of formaldehyde is really 3.3%.  right?

Chemists unite!

greg

At 09:08 AM 5/12/2005 +1200, you wrote:

>We are still in discussion with various organisations including UPS about
>shipping preserved specimens. In my case the hold-ups of material coming
>into New Zealand has been MAF Quarantine and their concerns about bio
>security. As a rule I always declare that the package contains "Marine
>fishes preserved in alcohol for scientific research only. No endangered
>species. Non-viable. No commercial value." and it always gets through. I
>also wrap the specimens in water dampened cloth, relying on residual
>alcohol in the specimens.
>
>The biggest lot I sent was a consignment of 3 x 125 litre drums + 1 x 50
>litre drum of fish specimens in alcohol shipped to France. They went
>through without a murmur. Once I told the agent handling that it was
>diluted product in the drums (50% IPA) the specimens being triple wrapped
>and sealed in plastic bags, neither he nor the shipping company could care
>less. Formalin on the other hand posed a much bigger hassle and required
>shipping as a dangerous goods.
>
>It seems that in-spite of all the regulations, it is very difficult to get
>a hard and fast ruling on how something should be done.....anywhere!!
>
>Andrew
>
>Andrew Stewart
>Collection Manager: Fishes
>Museum of New Zealand
>DDI (04) 381-7314
>~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> ><<<))O>

>The email message together with the accompanying attachments may be
>CONFIDENTIAL. If you have received this message in error, please notify
><mailto:mail at tepapa.govt.nz>mail at tepapa.govt.nz immediately and delete the
>original message.  The views expressed in this message are those of the
>individual sender, except where the sender specifically states them to be
>views of Te Papa.  Te Papa employs strict virus checking measures and
>accepts no liability for any loss caused either directly or indirectly by
>a virus arising from the use of this message or any attached file.

*       Gregory J. Watkins-Colwell                      *
*       Herpetology and Ichthyology                     *
*       Yale Peabody Museum of Natural History  *
*       170 Whitney Avenue, P. O. Box 208118            *
*       New Haven, CT  06520-8118                       *
*       Phone: 203/432-3791                     *
*       FAX: 203/432-2874                               *
*       http://www.peabody.yale.edu                     *