[NHCOLL-L:2654] Re: IATA and China

Robert Waller RWALLER at mus-nature.ca
Thu May 12 09:09:06 EDT 2005

Hi Geg,
As usual there is a short answer and a long answer to your question.

The short answer is: 3.3%, OK, close enough.

The long answer is "% solution" is an ambiguous term so one can not
associate any clear single value with it.
The bases for the "%" need to be stated.  Does it mean:
% volume solute / volume solution
% weight solute / weight solution
% weight solute / volume solution
% moles solute / moles solution
etc. etc.
For most concentrations other than 0% and 100% these will all be different
for the different bases for calculation.  They can easily vary by 5 to 10%
(absolute) or even more.  Still, for most practical work we don't need to
keep that in mind.  We just need to remember that we can not be precise, or
even clear, in our communication unless we know and specify the bases for %
expression.

Most will prefer the short answer!  It just comes at the cost to clarity.
Rob