[NHCOLL-L:3026] RE: Fluid collections on compactor systems

Jean-Marc Gagnon JMGAGNON at mus-nature.ca
Thu Apr 6 10:24:47 EDT 2006

Dear Jane,

We have been using compactors for our fluid-preserved collection for 9 years. My personal observations with the type of manual compactors we have are all positive.
Obviously, one must consider a slight movement of jars (measured probably in few mm/year) with the operation of the compactors. Earthquake bars or an equivalent is essential.
Generally speaking, all specimens are in fluid, therefore providing a certain level of absorption against vibrations, if any.

I hope this helps,

Jean-Marc

Jean-Marc Gagnon, Ph.D.
Chief Collection Manager / Gestionnaire en chef
Invertebrate Collections (and Interim for Vertebrates) / Collections des invertébrés (et vertébrés par intérim)
Canadian Museum of Nature / Musée canadien de la nature
P.O. Box 3443, Station D / Boîte postale 3443, Succ. D
Ottawa, Ontario
CANADA   K1P 6P4

Tel.: 613-364-4066
Fax / Télécopieur:  613-364-4027