[NHCOLL-L:3027] Re: Fluid collections on compactor systems

Gretchen Anderson gretcha at smm.org
Thu Apr 6 11:39:34 EDT 2006

Hi Jane
I know that Rebecca already answered you for SMM, but I am including her
comments for wider distribution, and adding my own:
from Rebecca:
Hi there,

We use a compactor system for our fluid collections and have not had any
problems.  We installed them 5 or 6 years ago.   The shelves have a small
(approximately 1") lip at the edge.  We have lined the shelves with a
neoprene non slip pad called from PGC Scientific
http://www.pgcsci.com/online/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&product_mod=4208&CFID=160183&CFTOKEN=72360510

The shelves and compactors are from Elecompack. http://www.elecompack.com/

I recall a talk at SPNHC several years ago (when the meeting was in
Madison) by a collections manager from the University of Kansas about their
new wet collections storage which included compactors.  She described doing
all sorts of "field testing" on the shelves to try and smash them together
or knock them over (in short, any abuse an unsupervised college student
might inflict) and was pleased with the  stability and resiliency of the
system.  I don't recall which company they used.

Good luck!
Rebecca

I would add that like Jean-Marc's at CMN ours are manual. Access is easy,
and the shelf lining helps. My only concern about the shelf lining is that
it does age and will need to be replaced at some point. Also, keep on top
of what the fire marshall is saying -- we got stuck with a sunken floor
with a grid on top of it -- made laying the rails interesting and it is
impossible to clean -- will send photos if you wish.  Turns out this was
probably due to miscommunication between the architects and the fire
marshall. We love the system, except for the floor.

Gretchen Anderson
Conservator
Science Museum of Minnesota