[NHCOLL-L:2981] shipping preserved specimens to Indonesia

Chris Conroy ondatra at berkeley.edu
Wed Mar 1 20:19:30 EST 2006

Dear NHColl list,

       I am trying to find a way to ship a large number of preserved
reptiles and amphibians from California to Indonesia. I am aware that
Fedex and UPS do not ship animals whole or in parts. I just spoke
with DHL and they have the same policy. Even taxidermied specimens
are prohibited. Any suggestions?  And to make it better, these are
typical herp specimens which means they have been preserved in
formalin and are stored in 70% ethanol. If we knew we could ship very
quickly, under a week, we could ship in water. But, we would prefer
to ship in dilute ethanol. That has restrictions as well.

Thanks for any advice,

Chris Conroy

Museum of Vertebrate Zoology
University of California