[NHCOLL-L:2988] Re: Coal Ball Storage to Prevent Pyrite Decay

Joy Irving joyirving at hotmail.com
Tue Mar 7 06:19:08 EST 2006

I have some experience of prevention of pyrite decay in minerals and
palaeontological material.  It is generally recommended (and I know from
experience) that storage of pyritic material should be at or below 30% RH
unless all oxygen can be excluded.  This should be done by means of
conditioned silica gel in micro-environments (polyethylene boxes), which is
relatively inexpensive, or the use of oxygen-free mico-environments with
barrier film and oxygen scavengers (a little more expensive!).

In addition to the papers already recommended below, I would add : Waller,
R.  1987.  An Experimental Ammonia Gas Treatment Method for Oxidized Pyrite
Specimens.  Preprints (Working Group 13), pp. 623-630.  ICOM Committee for
Conservation.  8th Triennial Meeting, Sydney, Australia, 6-11 September,
1987.  Getty Conservation Institute, Los Angeles.

Also : Howie, F.M.P.  1992.  'Pyrite and Marcasite.'  In 'The Care and
Conservation of Geological Material'.  Howie, F.M.P. (ed.).  London :
Butterworth-Heinemann.  pp. 70-84.

Joy Irving.
Oxford University Museum of Natural History.