[NHCOLL-L:2985] Fwd: Restrictions on specimen exchanges - India

Doug Yanega dyanega at ucr.edu
Mon Mar 6 12:07:42 EST 2006

Denis didn't send this to NHCOLL, originally, but it seems a better
venue to inquire as to further details than the mailing lists it
*was* sent to - does anyone here have details on the regulation
itself, or possibilities of getting exemption for research specimens?

>Date:         Mon, 6 Mar 2006 09:45:53 +0200
>Sender: Entomology Discussion List <ENTOMO-L at listserv.uoguelph.ca>
>From: Denis Brothers <Brothers at UKZN.AC.ZA>
>Subject: Restrictions on specimen exchanges - India
>Comments: To: TAXACOM at LISTSERV.NHM.KU.EDU
>To: ENTOMO-L at listserv.uoguelph.ca
>
>It seems that the government in India is imposing greater regulation on
>movement of specimens into and out of the country, to the detriment of
>collaborative research. Apparently government permission has to be
>sought to receive specimens on loan (even for scientific research) and
>for sending any specimens out of the country. This is obviously placing
>difficulties on researchers.
>
>I don't have any further information, nor do I have the full details,
>but wonder if this is an issue which might warrant some reaction from
>the scientific community.
>
>Denis

Univ. of California - Riverside, Riverside, CA 92521-0314