[NHCOLL-L:3252] 2007 short courses announcement - please distribute

Helen Alten helen at collectioncare.org
Mon Nov 27 08:08:07 EST 2006

Upcoming Online Museum Classes:
Look for our complete 2007 Online Museum Classes Schedule in early December
2006. We've added courses on security, collections management, care of
specific materials and archaeology. The first three months of 2007 are
posted on our web site, www.museumclasses.org .

New Short Courses
New to www.museumclasses.org this year are short courses - one week on one
topic. For those of you on a budget, the short courses give you a taste of
our full classes. Participants receive course readings at the beginning of
the month. This provides a week to bone up before an "Ask the Experts" chat
at 11 a.m. Eastern Time (New York) the second Wednesday of each month. Be
prepared to participate  your questions and comments make this a rich
experience. No more than 20 participants can join, so sign up early to
reserve a place.

The first three Short Courses of 2007 are:

January:
MS 001 The Problem with Plastics
As we march boldly toward the 22nd century, artifact collecting includes
that most fragile of materials - plastic. Not only is it in our
collections, but it's used to house our collections, too. What problems
have you seen? What problems have others seen? What materials are best?
What can we, as caretakers, do to minimize long-term damage? Join Helen for
our first mini-course of the season. Bring any questions you have about
plastics in your museum.

February:
MS 008: Buy-In: Getting All of the Staff to Support Preservation
All too often, preservation is left to one or two staff members and others
believe it doesn't apply to them. Everyone must buy into the notion of
preservation. But how? Readings will introduce some ideas and participants
in this course will brainstorm with Helen Alten and others about what
works, what might work - and what doesn't.

March:
MS 002: Collection Protection  Are you Prepared?
Disaster planning is overwhelming. Where do you start? Talk to Terri
Schindel about how to get going. Use her checklist to determine your level
of preparedness. What do you already have in place? Are you somewhat
prepared? What can you do next? Participants in Collection Protection will
read literature and complete a checklist before joining a one-hour chat to
discuss disaster preparedness at their institutions.

Short courses take about 10 hours of a student's time.  Their cost is $75.

Please sign up at http://www.museumclasses.org and pay at
http://www.collectioncare.org/tas/tas.html If you have trouble with either,
please contact Helen Alten at helen at collectioncare.org .