[NHCOLL-L:3253] Online collections numbering course in December - please distribute

Helen Alten helen at collectioncare.org
Mon Nov 27 08:26:16 EST 2006

MS208: Applying Numbers to Collection Objects: Materials and Methods of
Object Numbering
Instructor: Helen Alten
Dates:  December 4 through January 12, 2007
Price: $425
Location: www.museumclasses.org

Applying Numbers to Collection Objects covers the materials and methods of
object numbering: registration, handling, labeling and marking, number
placement, documentation, health and safety, transponders and barcodes,
surface marks, inks, paints and barrier coats. Each participant receives a
Northern States Conservation Center collections labeling kit and performs
experiments using its contents. Participants learn to determine what pen,
ink, barrier coat or tag is appropriate for each object and storage or
display situation.

Course Outline
1.      Introduction
2.      Basic Concepts
3.      Associating Numbers and Objects
4.      Applying Numbers to Objects: Barrier Coats and Direct Surface Marking
5.      Tools of Numbering
6.      Recommended Numbering Procedures for Specific Objects
7.      Conclusion

Logistics
Participants in Applying Numbers to Collection Objects work through seven
sections at their own pace. Instructor Helen Alten will be available at
scheduled times for email support. Participants work individually and
interact through forums and online chats. Materials include PowerPoint
lectures, readings, lecture notes  and a collections labeling kit with
sample materials. Additional resources include projects, quizzes and links
to relevant web sites.

Applying Numbers to Collection Objects runs four weeks. Enroll at
www.museumclasses.org and pay for the course at
http://www.collectioncare.org/tas/tas.html.  If you have trouble with
either, please contact Helen Alten at helen at collectioncare.org.

Student Comments:
“All in all, I learned more than I thought I would.  I and my colleagues
are eager to have the handouts in a binder for immediate and future
reference.”  MS208 participant

“I loved the practical assignments. I loved the feedback from Helen. And I
loved the live chat sessions.”  MS208 participant

“The organization of the course was excellent  readings were
well-constructed and well-placed within the greater course context
 I was
pleased that we had homework where we were expected to apply some of the
concepts we’d read about.”  MS208 participant

“I liked the ability to receive instruction without having to leave my
office or go out of town.”  MS208 participant

“I was able to learn so much about numbering museum items that I did not
know.  I had tried to do research on the Internet and had found some
things, but nothing like what we covered through the course.”  MS208
participant

The Instructor:
Helen Alten is an objects conservator and owner of Northern States
Conservation Center, St. Paul, Minnesota. She has been an educator,
conservator and trainer since 1986. Ms. Alten received her master’s degree
in archaeological conservation and materials science at the Institute of
Archaeology, University of London in 1986. She began working with small,
rural, and tribal museums as conservator for Montana and Alaska.