[NHCOLL-L:3327] RE: Photo Organization Software for Biologists

Rachael Arenstein rachaelarenstein at hotmail.com
Sun Feb 11 14:35:21 EST 2007

When I worked on the Move Project for the National Museum of the American
Indian we too struggled with the issue of how to manage the thousands of
digital images that our project created.  For this project the museum
purchased a program called Portfolio by Extensis
http://www.extensis.com/en/products/index.jsp;jsessionid=OT2PYHRXGRHKJLAQAAUQ0FQ

It was available as a stand alone program and as a server based program that
would allow for multiple users at the same time.  It used to be that you
could download a free trial version for 30 days.  It was a very powerful
program with easily adaptable metadata functions and search capabilities as
well as being user friendly and easy to learn.  On the downside it probably
costs more than $100.

The New York Times on Thursday February 1, 2007 published an article by Ian
Austen in the Circuits section "Better Shoeboxes for Digital Photos: New
Programs Arrive to Browse and Manage Images."   I will see if I can e-mail
the article to you.  It has a good disussion of various options.

Best,
Rachael Perkins Arenstein
Conservator in Private Practice