[NHCOLL-L:3287] Re: Fluid Collection Issues

CAHawks at aol.com CAHawks at aol.com
Wed Jan 17 15:13:09 EST 2007

Heath,

Using a 'sniff' test is a dangerous practice given that formaldehyde is a
human carcinogen and isopropanol is toxic.

Rob Waller of the Canadian Museum of Nature developed a test strip for
distinguishing alcohol from formalin solutions and also worked on distinguishing
among alcohols (_rwaller at mus-nature.ca_ (mailto:rwaller at mus-nature.ca) ). In
addition,  there are standardized tests routinely used in chemistry to
distinguish between  primary (ethanol) and secondary (isopropanol) alcohols. You can
find these  tests by searching on Google.

Cathy Hawks

In a message dated 1/17/2007 2:34:44 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,