[NHCOLL-L:3470] Re: FW: Bird mounts

Kaplan, Emily KaplanE at si.edu
Wed Jun 20 17:35:42 EDT 2007

More information on pesticides can be found at this site, including a
selected bibliography:

http://www.nmai.si.edu/subpage.cfm?subpage=collections&second=conserv&th
ird=pest

At NMAI we have also had success cleaning grimy featherwork simply by
stroking gently with polyurethane foam cosmetic sponges or upholstery
foam, followed by careful HEPA vacuuming on low suction as Victoria
describes below to remove any residual foam particles as well as other
particles.

Emily Kaplan

Conservator

Smithsonian National Museum of the American Indian

Cultural Resources Center

Suitland, MD 20746

tel 301-238-1418

fax 301-238-3201