[NHCOLL-L:3469] Re: FW: Bird mounts

Victoria Book vbook at ou.edu
Wed Jun 20 16:59:14 EDT 2007

I agree with Rich, these are separate issues.  But let's talk about
both.

FIRST, check for arsenic and mercury.  You don't want to risk your
health while cleaning a specimen.
There is a lot of literature out there, and some test kits available to
test for these.  Collection Forum, for example, has several articles
about pesticide residue analysis (Hawks, Williams, Odegaard, Makos are
a few names to look for).  Test kits are available from the usual
sources including FisherSci, VWR Scientific, Cole Parmer, and others.
If your mount tests positive (take a few samples from different areas),
you will need to wear personal protective gear (respirator, or at least
a dusk mask, and gloves) and clean up very well.

Second, there are several ways to clean a taxidermy bird.  Always
inspect the specimen before-hand for any damage, loose feathers, etc.;
document any condition observations and take pictures.  I'd do the
gentlest treatment that works and stop when it looks good enough.  It
is easy to damage older specimens with an aggressive cleaning campaign.
  Some treatment techniques include brush-vacuuming (as minor as it
sounds, this can make a huge visible difference), Groom/stick eraser,
cleaning powders (potato starch or document cleaning powder), steam,
water (and a cool hair dryer), and organic solvents.

The conservation dist-list
http://palimpsest.stanford.edu/byform/mailing-lists/cdl/ has several
postings about both these issues; here are two very good posts, but
please check the dist-list for others.

Sally Shelton:
Roberta Salmaso:

There aren't many taxidermy conservators out there, but there are
conservators who would take this on if you didn't want to try it
yourself.  If you do try it yourself, please read up on the techniques
and risks.  Feel free to contact me or a conservator in your area with
questions.

If anyone has experience in this area, I'd like to hear from you.
Please contact me off list (vbook at ou.edu).

Good Luck,
Victoria

Victoria Book
Conservator
Sam Noble Oklahoma Museum of Natural History
University of Oklahoma
2401 Chautauqua Avenue
Norman, Oklahoma   73072-7029
phone 405.325.5163