[NHCOLL-L:3622] RE: effects of nitrogen gas?

Colin Macgregor Colin.Macgregor at austmus.gov.au
Wed Oct 31 19:34:25 EDT 2007

Hi Leishawn,

At the Australian Museum in Sydney we use pure nitrogen gas as a method
of killing insect infesting our collections. Natural Science and organic
cultural objects are routinely put into a chamber of pure nitrogen for
two weeks. We have never observed any harmful effects on the objects,
but it asphyxiates the bugs very effectively due to the lack of oxygen.

We also have a fire suppression system  in a number of our stores which
consists of nitrogen and carbon dioxide. There should be no problem with
this as the nitrogen gas is fairly unreactive. There is such a large
amount of nitrogen in the air around us that reactions would probably
have already happened if they are going to happen.

It's the nitrogen dioxide and sulphur dioxide which you will find in the
polluted urban air outside that will attack the collection under certain
conditions. And then we have to look at filters on the air-conditioning
system etc, but that's another story.

Regards,

Colin Macgregor

Manager