[NHCOLL-L:3944] RE: Transporting Large Quantities of Dangerous Goods

Bentley, Andrew Charles abentley at ku.edu
Mon Aug 18 23:19:22 EDT 2008

Heath

First off you would not be following IATA but DOT.  DOT regulates domestic transport of hazardous materials.

Secondly, there is an exception to regular dangerous goods regulations that you may be able to use.  This is what is termed limited quantities (DOT 49 CFR 173.150b - http://edocket.access.gpo.gov/cfr_2005/octqtr/pdf/49cfr173.150.pdf) which allows for up to 1 litre in any single package (unless transported by air) without the neccesity to placard for Class 3, Packing group II substances (which 70% ethanol is).  If you are unable to keep within this limit then you will fall under the full hazardous materials regulations and will have to use a vehicle rated for transport of flammable materials and the vehicle will have to placarded correctly.  We recently did this when we collected an orphan collection in 5 gallon buckets from Columbia, MO.  We were lucky enough that our university has such a vehicle that we could use for this purpose.

Before attempting this I would suggest reading the relevant portions of 49 CFR Part 173 and 177 (Carriage by Public Highway).

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Andy

    A  :             A  :             A  :
 }<(((_°>.,.,.,.}<(((_°>.,.,.,.}<)))_°>
    V                V                V
 Andy Bentley
 Ichthyology Collection Manager
 University of Kansas
 Natural History Museum & Biodiversity Research Center
 Dyche Hall
 1345 Jayhawk Boulevard
 Lawrence, KS, 66045-7561
 USA